Posted on 15th Jul 2014
Importing products is useful especially if you switched to MerchantPlay from another POS software or you would want to make many changes to your products or inventory. When importing products, MerchantPlay does all the hard work for you. Instead of creating each product one at-a-time, MerchantPlay extracts data from your CSV file and turns them into products in your shop.
This import function is created with the sole purpose to help you to get things started real quick (and with lightning upload speed) therefore it only requires you to enter essential product information to get things going.
In order to import new products into the system using our CSV template, you would need to do the following in sequence:
- Create new product Types (if any)
- Create new product Brands (if any)
- Download CSV template that can be found at Products -> Import
- Enter product details into CSV template
- Chose CSV template as the file to be imported
- Click on import button to upload
Before you start, you’ll need to have some information ready which is required for you to enter into the CSV template:
1. item_name - The name of your product. You can have letters, numbers, and symbols in this field. Do not include #, $, or & symbols.
2. type - The unique type number of your product. This must be the unique product type number that will be generated by the system when you create the product type.
3. brand - The unique brand number of your product. This must be the unique product brand number that will be generated by the system when you create the product brand.
4. item_number - The stock keeping unit (SKU) for your product. You can scan or type the existing barcode number for your product here if you have one. Otherwise, it's a good idea to start counting at 10000. Every product must have a unique SKU. Make sure it only has letters and numbers. It is not advisable to have spaces or symbols in here although the system allows you to do so.
5. description - The description of your product. This field can have letters, numbers, and symbols. You can also also include basic HTML tags.
6. cost_price - The supply price for your product, excluding tax. Don't include a currency sign, just enter the number.
7. unit_price - The price you sell your product for. Don't include a currency sign, just enter the number. If you display the prices of your items including tax, this is the tax inclusive price. If you display the prices of your items excluding tax, this is the tax exclusive price.